3e cartridge and auto align Canon Pixma MP780

Bookmark and Share
First, I don't think it's a software (driver) problem.
Second, I don't think it's the printer detecting a non-Canon ink cartridge, I've used many non-Canon cartridges (although the ink quality may not be as good) and they've worked fine up until now.
Third, switching the 'Media Type' to 'Photo Paper' doesn't solve the problem, it just avoids it. I think this paper type use the 6eBK black cartridge, not the 3eBK black cartridge.

In most cases the problem is a blockage of the ink flow to the print head (nozzle). When I've had this problem in the past 'Deep Cleaning' of the nozzle has solved it. However multiple 'Deep Cleanings' did not fix it this time.

So, access the ink cartridges. Lift up the gray lever on the right and remove all your ink cartridges. You can now lift out the print head holder (Canon's terminology - there are two black pieces on each side at the back, just under the gray hinges). Tilt forward and lift out. At this point you can try rinsing the print head holder from the top and bottom with hot water. This will flush out a lot of ink. It may be sufficient to solve your problem, however it wasn't for me.

Turn the print head holder over. There are two silver Phillips head screws in white plastic that hold the print heads in place. Unscrew them (it was very difficult for me as they were extremely stiff). If you damage anything at this point don't blame me (see above)!

You now have to get the white plastic holding the nozzles to separate from the rest of the print head holder. The brown electrical connectors tend to hold it in place but it can be done. If you damage anything at this point don't blame me (see above)!

Once the inside of the print heads are exposed you can see the ink reservoirs. The 3eBK is much different from the others. It's the long oblong whereas the 6s are the 4 circular openings. Rinse the openings on both sides. Fortunately the ink is water soluble. I weighted the cartridge down and let hot water run on the nozzle side for an hour. Remember there is probably dried ink in here so it takes some time to loosen up.

I also brushed gently inside both openings to help remove the ink. If you damage anything at this point don't blame me (see above)!

That was it. I shook the print head holder to remove excess water and dried it off. I then reassembled the print head holder, installed it back in the printer, reinstalled the ink cartridges (I used Canon ink for the 6eBK, just to be safe) and ran a test. There was a lot of streaking initially (water still in the print head holder and nozzles). I did some more 'Deep Cleaning', probably 6 times, and performed a 'Print Head Alignment' and now everything works.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment